Project V8 RX-7: Part 11 – Finishing the Driveline


We made a little plate out of some scrap aluminum we’ll use to bolt our AQ-1 to the chassis right behind the driver’s seat.


A cluttered workspace makes for a cluttered mind!


It doesn’t look level, but it is…  The instructions list a number of acceptable configurations for mounting the AQ-1 for its built-in accelerometer to function properly.  We’ll need that later when we configure the AQ-1.  We ran all the sensor and power wires under the carpet up to the front kick panel where our E-ROD bulkhead connector has all the sensor outs and a power source.  The AEMnet wire will run around behind the seat and up the center tunnel area and everything will be covered up neatly under the interior panels.


Phew!  No one noticed the AEMnet wire going to our Dyno-Shaft wire peeking through the back of the shifter opening in Part 9!


Configuration of the AQ-1 is fairly simple, just download the software and install it onto your PC–or Parallels on the Mac cuz AEM won’t give us a Mac version (bummer).  Here on the home screen you can set the conditions under which the AQ-1 starts logging data.  We chose battery voltage (switched that is) greater than 12V.


Next we configured the oil pressure sensor. If you have any kind of AEM sensor there’s a Sensor Wizard that lets you pick it from a dropdown list.  We’re using the signals from our E-ROD’s bulkhead connector.  The instructions that came with our engine specified resistance values for oil pressure in PSI as (PSI=[32*Sensor Voltage]-16).  So we made a little table on the bottom right with voltages from 0-5V.  Easy!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *