Project S2000 – Part 16 – Testing Track Upgrades

,

After we completed the mock-up, Tommy took it and made an initial 3D model in SolidWorks.

 

 

Three more design iterations later in SolidWorks after Tommy’s initial model, these are the rapid prototypes made from a polycarbonate (PC)-ABS material.  I chose this material due to its mix of strength, ductility, and cost.  The design iterations were a balance of strength versus material volume as the cost of the rapid prototype was heavily influenced by the volume of material used.

 

This is the hole in the control arm used to attach the ducts.  I made a run to Ace Hardware to buy a set of bolts, washers and lock nuts.

 

These are views of the bottom-side of the duct and the lock nut with washer.  I got lucky on the spacing of the ribs I added for strength as the washer just fits between them.  Tommy and I did a pretty good job of placing the exit of the duct.  I was trying to aim for the center part of the rotor and not the rotor surface itself.  The reason being that the rotor should be pumping air from the center of the rotor and through the vanes to cool the rotor, so my goal was to add air to the center to get pumped through the rotor to provide the maximum effectiveness.  Not only that, but I also didn’t want to unevenly cool the rotor by only cooling the inner surface.  The air going through the vanes in the middle of the rotor should cool the rotor more evenly.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*